1. Develop your own niche. The best way to win money at sports gambling is to develop a niche and follow it closely. If you become an expert on a smaller conference you have a good chance to beat the house. Study your team’s strengths and weaknesses and know their home and road records. Pay attention to changes in the quality of a team from one season to the next and evaluate the change of players and coaching staffs from one season to the next.
2. Evaluate a team objectively. Bet wisely by keeping your selections limited. Also try to limit the influence of bias in your betting. If you are a fan of a team try to limit the effect of that favoritism when betting. Evaluate a team’s chances objectively and not based on emotions.
3. Bet against the odds. Certain teams always have a strong public following. High value bets can often be found by betting against these teams because the odds makers adjust the line to reflect the expected amount of public money so the underdog is often listed with better odds or a larger point spread than they really deserve.
4. Don’t chase your losses. When you do run into the inevitable losing streak, don’t panic and make the common mistake of betting larger amounts in an attempt to recoup your losses. Instead, examine your handicapping methods and reduce your betting amounts until you start winning again. Chasing your losses is the single biggest mistake a gambler can make. Once you start winning again, increase your bets slightly.
5. Pay attention to sportsbook commissions. Bet on games and leagues where the sportsbook’s commission is the least. This is often in the sport or sports with which that sportsbook does most of its business, as it is likely the most efficient in that area.
6. Bet systematically and keep accurate records. Betting regularly though a systematically and analytical manner, one can improve your judgmental ability. Keeping accurate records of your wagering activity will increase your winning percentage. Maintaining records of statistics will help you to avoid destructive wagering patterns and, at the same time will enable you to spot trends that may give you an edge.
7. Practice good money management. If you are going to bet on sports, it is important to set aside a certain portion of your money for betting. Contain the urge to bet with you winnings immediately. If you do not follow the standard rule of 50%, at least put some of your winnings back into your pocket